Thursday, June 21, 2012

Personal Nouns

Written circa September 2009, I think.  This came from my turmoil over a lot of relational struggles, friends and family alike.  Happily, those struggles were resolved well.

I
Me
Mine
Easy, familiar, safe
The center of my universe.

You
Your
Yours
Harder, alien, strange
Difficult to understand.

They
Them
Theirs
Separate, abstract, divided
Near and far, outside "my" sphere.

We
Us
Ours
Hardest, friction, resistance
Oblivious to each one's misery.

Is there a bridge
From "me" to "you"?

Harmony, affection, agreement
Conflict, resentment, threat

How comes "me" and "you" to "us"?
"They" and "us" to "we"?

I don't hate you
I just can't live with you.
I love you
But words hurt too much.
Don't leave me
I'll leave you
Then maybe "we" can survive "me" and "you."

No comments:

Post a Comment