Monday, July 16, 2012

Insensitivity

It's a sad thing when one mistake can taint your whole day, and you didn't even mean to be an ass.

That happened to me yesterday.  Folks were having a conversation on FB, and in my excitement over the topic, I shared something I assumed to be general knowledge.  Shortly thereafter, I receive a private message from one of my friends saying it wasn't my place to share that and to remove the post.  I did, of course, and I apologized, but now I feel like the biggest jerk on the planet and I wasn't even trying to hurt anyone.  I was happy about the news I shared - if I hadn't been, I wouldn't have shared it.  But apparently, it's "not my place."

I suppose, had I been in that person's shoes, I'd be irritated that someone else told people something concerning me that I wanted to tell them myself.  But it wasn't a case of stealing thunder, not this time, which is why I didn't think it would be a big deal.

I guess I was wrong.

I still wasn't trying to be an ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment